Keith Thomas, a Daytona Beach resident for 56 years, moved into a brand-new home Tuesday afternoon, just weeks before the holidays, at 622 Marion St.
Thomas received the keys and a guided tour of the newly completed residence from the contractor, Wise Construction; representatives from the city’s Community Redevelopment and Neighborhood Services Department; and his pastor. The team celebrated the successful completion of the first of four reconstruction projects approved earlier this year and the transformation of Thomas’s residence.
The original structure, built in 1950, was demolished due to safety concerns and replaced with a modern, accessible home designed to support long-term stability and quality of life. Thomas purchased the original home in 2006 and first sought assistance in 2022 through the Coronavirus roofing program. However, because the house was not structurally sound after the roof was removed, full reconstruction was required. Construction began in July 2025.
“This started with just needing a roof,” Thomas said. “A woman told me, ‘Keith, there’s a program down at the city, and Mrs. LaShondra Robinson is over it.’ What began as a tarped roof turned into a house. They turned that around for me, and I’m grateful.”
The 1,254-square-foot, two-bedroom, two-bath concrete block home, constructed by Wise Construction, includes a garage and accessibility features such as ramps and shower railings. Valued at $242,885, the home was funded through a combination of federal and state housing programs and administered by the city’s Redevelopment and Neighborhood Services Department.
“This moment represents more than just a new house. It represents safety, dignity and a fresh start,” said Redevelopment Director Ken Thomas. “Seeing a homeowner walk into a safe, energy-efficient home underscores why this program is so important to our community.”
To qualify for the reconstruction program, homeowners must earn less than 80% of the area median income for Volusia County, adjusted for family size. While the program typically focuses on rehabilitating existing homes, full reconstruction is pursued when repair costs exceed 65% of the county's property’s assessed value.
The program includes a 15-year affordability period to ensure the homes remain available to income-qualified residents. If a property is sold or refinanced before the end of that period, the funds invested in the reconstruction must be repaid.
Additional reconstruction projects are planned at 322 North Keech St., 351 Garden St., and 831 Madison St. The program currently serves a waitlist of more than five years. In recent years, numerous homes have been successfully reconstructed, with many more rehabilitated through down payment assistance and owner-occupied housing programs. The city continues its efforts to replace unsafe housing with safe, modern homes for residents most in need.